xml-general mailing list archives

From giacomo <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PMC Vote on AxKit Contribution
Date Sun, 22 Jul 2001 09:15:29 GMT
On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> > I'll raise this up again: What about creating a apache project where stuff like
> > AxKit and Cocoon should better end up instead of xml.apache.org? IIRC Cocoon
> > doesn't fit into the charter of xml.apache.org and is only "tolerated" there
> > until a better solution is found, right?
>
> First of all - lets make clear that Cocoon is always welcome here.

Thanks, we always felt comfortable here :)

> Though a lot of the XML projects might be concerned with the basics;
> parsing, transforming, mangling inout, fudging output; none of that lives
> in a vacuum. Cocoon is one of the projects that uses these compoments and
> brings valuable application/implementation experience to the table.
>
> In fact it would be more worrysome if we'd be working on such basic's
> without having clear 'user's for those basic building blocks, and some
> sort of realitiy check.

Indeed, Cocoon is one of the ASF own drivers for the basic as seen in
the past.  We always where able to give specific feedback to the other
projects (Xerces, Xalan, FOP and Batik) maybe because of the environment
Cocoon lives in (servlet/server/multithreaded). Also, I don't want to
nerve about the charter of xml.apache.org but doesn't the charter need
to be extended for things like Cocoon and AxKit which are not basics but
appliances of the basics (I have to confess that I only remember the
initial content of the charter when it was posted some month ago to this
list and I appologies if it was changed in this direction without me
having noticed)?

Giacomo