xml-general mailing list archives

From giacomo <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PMC Vote on AxKit Contribution
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2001 20:53:50 GMT
On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
> >
> > I'll raise this up again: What about creating a apache project where
> stuff like
> > AxKit and Cocoon should better end up instead of xml.apache.org? IIRC
> Cocoon
> > doesn't fit into the charter of xml.apache.org and is only "tolerated"
> there
> > until a better solution is found, right?
>
> IMHO, Cocoon will always be welcome here.

Don't get me wrong, we feel comfortable here. But it might be better to
have it somewhere else. IIRC the xml charter states that there will be
mainly implementation of base technologies (ie. XML parser, XSLT, SOAP,
FO, XML-DBs...) which Cocoon as well as AxKit are not. The build upon
them (at least Cocoon is useing alot of those stuff build up in the xml
project).

> Also IMHO, the potential future donation of AxKit brings a separate project
> parallel to xml.apache.org for cocoon and related software that much closer
> to reality.

That's why I've raised it again.

> My input the last time this topic came up is the same that I'm giving now:
> building a community takes a long of effort.  Given his role with the
> original forming of the Cocoon project and with the early development of
> both the Jakarta and XML communities, I see the chances for a successful
> outcome for all concerned to be greater if you can wait until Stefano can
> give such activities his full attention.  But if, for some reason, the
> consensus is that the need is urgent, I would support the forming of a
> separate PMC.

IMHO I don't think it is urgent now. But concerning waiting for Stefano
you might know more about it that I do. Did Stefano tell you he will
boost a community around XML appliances like AxKit and Cocoon sooner or
later?

Giacomo