xml-general mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: -1 to Anakia [ or why the website is broken ]
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2001 22:25:55 GMT
> 1. It needs to be an actively maintained project - bugs need to be fixed and
> questions
> need to get answered.

Anakia does that.

> 2. It needs to have an XML input format - we must eat our own dogfood.

Anakia does that.

> 3. It needs to be straightforward to learn and operate -  any committer can
> update the documentation or regenerate the website.

Anakia does that.

> 4. It needs to be accessible to non-programmers - so that technical writer
> type folks can
> contribute to documentation.

Anakia does that.

> 5. Performance is a non-criterion, because we may have to generate the
> content off-line.

Anakia is super fast.

I also disagree with this point. Generation of documentation should be fast.
People don't use Jikes because it is a more compliant Java compiler
(sometimes it is), they use Jikes because it is faster than Sun's javac
(even after Sun re-wrote it, it is still slower...duh). The same should be
said for the "compiler" which generates the documentation.

> 6. It needs to be possible for a user who downloads a build to somewhat
> easily build the
> docs.   From this follow that someone shouldn't need to download a zillion
> packages just
> to build the docs.  It's bad enough that they have to get stylebook now.

Anakia is this.

> 7. If we can use existing standards for stuff like this, we should.  Just
> because Apache has 15
> different templating systems doesn't mean we should use them all.

The "standard" should be XML only. What is used to generate the HTML from
the XML should be anything. Isn't the the whole point of putting stuff into
XML in the first place?

Also, I find is silly funny that the documentation on xml.apache.org is all
in XML, which is supposed to make changing the website easy, yet the site
has been a mess for more than a year now and no one has stepped up to fix
it. If XSLT is so great and easy, then how come no one has bothered to fix
it? Oh wait, I forgot, don't blame the technology. Really.

p.s. I'm not subscribed to this list. I'm only reading the archives on
mail-archive.com. So, if you want a quick response, please subscribe.

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous