xml-general mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: +1 to Docbook ( was: Re: -1 to Anakia )
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2001 19:52:51 GMT
cmanolache@yahoo.com wrote:

> +1 for docbook
>
> It seems we have "old" stylebook, "new" stylebook, "jakarta-site" style
> ( or however the DTD is called ). AFAIK none of those are clearly
> documented or defined - and we have quite a few variations already.
>
> The result of this is visible in the current mess of tag styles and site
> generation.

By using DocBook, we will also be able to use WYSIWYG programs designed for
DocBook.  And then there is the decreased learning curve by all new documentors.

I think there is another benefit, if we decide to use Cocoon 2.  We can set
up one general sitemap for the whole site, and make sure that all documentation
is generated with the same markup.  Cocoon allows the addition of sub-sitemaps,
but even if we have separate "contexts" for each project--it just becomes so much
simpler to manage.

If Jakarta or XML sites decided that the current _very_ table heavy site design
can be simplified--the one set of stylesheets will benefit all the associated
projects.  You see how it all works together?