xml-general mailing list archives

From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: Using C2 for docs
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2001 22:47:21 GMT
At 02:41 PM 7/20/01 -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>Call to FOP guys:
>
>If you can come up with a DocBook to XSL:FO markup stylesheet that is
>standard to all projects, it would help out tremendously.  Start with
>the docbook2xhtml.xsl stylesheet I have in Avalon's CVS (as it has the
>subset of DocBook we would most be concerned with).
>
>Why did I come up with my own stylesheet instead of using Norman Walsh's?
>Because for me it was easier.  I have looked at Norman's stylesheets, and
>I quickly get lost due to all the logic he puts in there to automatically
>spit out transformed files.  90% of what we need can be produced with 10%
>of the effort that goes into Norman's sheets.  The remaining 10% (that
>takes up the remaining 90% of the effort) can be added as we need it.

Can do. I'll put it out as another request on fop-dev, because, after all,
not everyone is on this list.

There are 2 reasons we need a somewhat customized stylesheet:

1) FOP is immature: it will not handle everything that Norm's DocBook->FO
stylesheets produce, although with your simplified/reduced docbook2xhtml.xsl
stylesheet this may not be too bad; and

2) the DocBook -> XSL-FO stylesheets are themselves immature at this point;
there are a number of DocBook elements that, once transformed, produce FO
that doesn't look all that hot even with AntennaHouse XSLFormatter or
RenderX XEP, let alone FOP.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

Fairly Senior Software Type