xml-general mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Sometimes you need to throw the fish back...
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2001 01:37:02 GMT
Edwin Goei wrote:

> Oops, I sent a reply before reading this email.  I'd encourage you to
> file bugs on the other components too (except the crimson bug which has
> already been fixed).  There is a group of people dedicated to processing
> bugs in Bug Parade and entering them into Sun's internal bug tracking
> system.

As I already indicated, I'm disappointed by the response to my first
report.  Despite the web page from which I downloaded the JDK beta
indicating that the JDK "is fully compatible with previous J2SE software
releases.", it seems that a report of an incompatibility is not viewed as a
bug.

Since all I did was compile the sources, pretty much all of the "problems"
were compatibility issues.

There are two notable exceptions.  The first being the Crimson bug which
you indicated will be fixed in the next beta.  The other being a potential
regression in reflection/security found in Scarab.  I say potential
regression as I don't know yet if it is a security hole that has been
closed, a tightening up of checks that prior JDKs were lax on, or a bug.
In any case, the project is not an Apache one and the owners do not seem
predisposed to pursue it...

- Sam Ruby