xml-general mailing list archives

From Rahul Srivastava <Rahul.Srivast...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: XSL and XSLT
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2001 04:14:37 GMT
Hello,

If you take a broader view, you can say that XSL constitutes two parts viz.
XSL-FO and XSL-T. T in XSL-T stands for Transformation. Transformation of what?.
Transformation of an XML file to generate some output. That output can be
anything. Depends on your need viz. - html, java, etc.. or even FO(Formatting
objects). Thus, FO's are used to render the data in the XML file. If your o/p is
going to a browser, and you are generating html as the output from XSL, you can
see it on the browser. How?. Simple, browser understands html. Now, if you
generate your o/p as FO from XSL, the browser must understand it to display it.
But, not all browsers support FO.

Rahul.