xml-general mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files: commentsto Dirk
Date Tue, 01 May 2001 17:29:43 GMT

> Shane_Curcuru@lotus.com wrote:

> > Of all the xml committers, I feel confident that we have a good
> > half-dozen people who will be active and can help manage mailing
> > lists, etc., including myself.  But perhaps I shouldn't assume - maybe
> > some of those people who gave this proposal their +1 will step up
> > again and assert they'll help out with the organization, etc.
> > explicitly...
>
> Just tell me how I as a non-committer can help. This project is a Good
> Idea (TM) and something I did before - an ideal entrance point for me as
> a xml.apache.org newbie. :-))

That is easier than you think; simply work on the code; the doc's - review
changes, make comments, edit code; and send a patch to the mailing list.
The only difference between a committer and any other contributer is that
the first can commit directly; whereas the latter needs a little help. But
apart from that - everyone's input is valuable.

Specifically

-	Follow the changes, comment on them.
-	Check out/update your source tree
	regularly; try it, test it, give feedback.
	Do general QA...
-	Doc's, installation, operation procedures, there
	is a lot which can always be improved.
-	Send patches (the more - the merrier (until
	you get punished with commit access - and
	just doubled your burden :-)).
-	During release time; check out the code; test
	it; help signing off on the release.

and this list goes on and on..

Dw