xml-general mailing list archives

From ne...@ca.ibm.com
Subject Re: Charter Discussions
Date Tue, 08 May 2001 13:23:07 GMT

Hi folks,

The proposed charter contains this sentence describing the process for
adding committers:

``New committers are added when a developer is nomonated by a committer and
is
approved by at least 50% of the committers for that subproject, with no
"no" votes.''

For this to work, one would have to know who all the committers for a given
subproject are; I for one don't know how to access this information.  I
also wonder whether other subprojects are like the one I commit to
(Xerces-j), where there are a number of very active committers and other
committers whose circumstances are such as not to allow them to commit all
that often.  As time goes by and more committers are added to a
subproject--and, one would think, more committers move on to bigger and
better things, yet remain on the list of committers--I wonder whether it
might not be difficult to get 50% of all committers to a subproject to cast
a vote to add a new committer.

To avoid this potential death from growth, as it were, I'd propose to
change the above to read something like:

``New committers are added when a developer is nomonated by a committer and
is
approved by at least 50% of the committers for that subproject, or by at
least 5 committers to that subproject within 2 weeks of the nomination,
with no
"no" votes.''

I'd suggest 2 weeks should be plenty of time for someone to exercise a
veto.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil Graham