xml-general mailing list archives

From David_N_Bert...@lotus.com
Subject Re: UTF and Xalan
Date Fri, 04 May 2001 14:31:51 GMT

wchar_t is not necessarily UTF-16.  The C++ standard does not require it
and most compilers do not encode wchar_t as UTF-16.

The interactions of UTF-8, UTF-16, wchar_t, and functions like mbstowcs are
pretty complex, and are hard to state in an email.  I suggest you look
through the list archives for pertinent emails, and do some investigation
of your own into the issue.  A good starting point is Tony Graham's book on
Unicode, which is published by M&T Books.

Dave

                    Lee Chin

                    <leechinus@ya        To:     general@xml.apache.org

                    hoo.com>             cc:     (bcc: David N Bertoni/CAM/Lotus)

                                         Subject:     UTF and Xalan

                    05/03/2001

                    06:24 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    general

PS: Is UTF-16 the same as wide characters?  if some
once could please tell me where UTF-8, UTF-16 and the
mbstowcs functions come into play I'd really
appreciate it