xml-general mailing list archives

From "Alistair Hopkins" <alist...@berthengron.co.uk>
Subject RE: XML based system architecture
Date Wed, 02 May 2001 09:40:47 GMT
http

but this will be inefficient

why not separate them but have them running in the same MVC framework

ie,

the controller calls the BL layer which returns XML, then the controller
calls the presentation layer with the returned XML which processes it
appropriately via XSL?

Alistair

-----Original Message-----
From: mx2@dais.cro.st.com [mailto:mx2@dais.cro.st.com]On Behalf Of
Xavier MACHENAUD
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 10:23 AM
To: General@xml.apache.org
Subject: XML based system architecture

Hi,

I'm in the process of designing an XML based application and I'm running
into a problem.

I want to separate the Presentation layer (XML server) and the Business
Logic layer (servlet/cgi/...) by using XML : the presentation layer is
querying  the business logic layer which is returning XML data.
Of course, I don't want my BL layer to do any output formatting.

        http
+-----+ get/post  +-----+       query         +-----+
|user | --------> |     | ------------------> |     |
|agent|           |Pres.|                     | BL  |
         pdf      Xml Server                Servlet/cgi/...
         wml

My problem is how can implement such an architecture?
More specifically, what protocol (compatible with that fact that there
could be a firewall between the 2 layers) can be used to query the BL
servlet?

Cheers,
Xavier