xml-general mailing list archives

From Edwin Goei <edwi...@sun.com>
Subject Re: [xml-commons][VOTE] META-INF/services
Date Tue, 22 May 2001 17:33:43 GMT
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Ed,
>
> Question #1: Should we populate META-INF/services with defaults? (my vote +1)

If you're referring to the JAXP 1.1 pluggable implementation scheme,
then I would say yes.

> Question #2: Should the parser defaults point to Xerces (my vote +1) or Crimson (my vote
+0)?

If you're referring to JAXP 1.1 services, then we don't in theory need
to choose which parser is the default.  The xerces.jar file can point to
the xerces implementation and the crimson.jar file can point to the
crimson implementation.  I posted a presentation on JAXP 1.1 for
ApacheCon 2001 at http://xml.apache.org/~edwingo which tries to explain
this.

> Question #3: The TRaX should default to Xalan (my vote +1).

Same answer as #2.

> Question #4: We need to add try/catch for SecurityException around
> System.getProperty("org.xml.sax.parser")? (my vote +1)

Where is this code you are referring to?  Is it in the org.xml.sax
package?

> Question #5: Should we add code to pick up "org.xml.sax.parser" default from META-INF/services
> be consistent across the board?) right now the code just looks at System.getProperty.
(my vote +1)

My initial opinion would be no, but I'm not sure about it.  JAXP 1.1
does not specify any services that begin with "org.xml.sax".

-Edwin