xml-general mailing list archives

From Edwin Goei <edwi...@sun.com>
Subject Re: [crimson] createElement/createElementNS
Date Tue, 22 May 2001 02:16:42 GMT
Christophe Jolif wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Moving from JAXP1.0.x to JAXP1.1, the crimson DOM has deprecated the
> factory API. That's why instead of using it, I would like to subclass
> the XmlDocument and redefine the createElement and createElementNS
> methods to return customized elements for some tag names. It works fine
> with createElementNS but createElement is final and thus cannot be
> redefine.
>
> Is it really intended? Is their any chances that it changed?

I'm not sure what the original reason was for doing this, since that
decision was made before I started working on the code.  Probably the
original author wanted to steer developers to the element factory code
or maybe it was for performance.  I would expect newer apps would be
using Namespaces and thus the createElementNS() method.  The old element
factory code still works for non-namespace XML docs for backward
compatibility.  In any case, I just made it non-final in the latest CVS
version.

-Edwin