xml-general mailing list archives

From James Melton <james.mel...@cylogix.com>
Subject Re: Why Java?
Date Mon, 14 May 2001 17:53:45 GMT
I think you need to ask why are so many new projects developed in Java
instead of C++ rather than just limiting it to XML tools.

For us that comes down to an assessment of where we spend
support/debugging/enhancement hours. Many of those hours with respect to
C++ are spent hunting memory management and pointer problems. Java
designers did their best to eliminate these. If we don't lose three
hours hunting for a stray pointer or memory leak, we get to spend those
hours doing something that contributes more directly to the business
bottom line. That makes Java more efficient for development than C++.

At the same time new projects are also using XML, so the requirement
becomes an XML parser for Java.

Jim.