xml-general mailing list archives

From Shawn Hempel <hemp...@zOregonTech.com>
Subject Why Java?
Date Fri, 11 May 2001 23:29:06 GMT
As a Software Engineering student at Oregon Institute of Technology I am
currently taking a course on XML. As part of the course I am trying to
(independently) learn some of the tools built around XML (Xalan, FOP,
Cocoon, etc).

I have a very open question, which will likely get me in trouble with
some Java die-hards, but I am really curious so I will ask anyway:

     Why are most XML tools written in Java?

Obviously some tools have been written in C, and some have been
developed with both Java and C implementations (Xerces), but my
experience is that the Java tools are more mature and more widely used.
Even Saxon, which was one of the first XSLT libraries, was written in
Java.

It's not that I am opposed to Java, but I believe C/C++ are still more
common in Industry than Java and are, therefore, easier to use for many
XML developers?

Assuming the primary reasoning is portability, aren't command-line and
server programs written in C extremely portable? I think the Apache
Server itself is a great example of that.

Thanks for your feedback,

Shawn Hempel
hempels@zOregonTech.com