xml-general mailing list archives

From Bernd Koecke ...@schlund.de>
Subject Re: XML and EDI
Date Thu, 10 May 2001 08:18:21 GMT
Hi,

Pankaj Malhan wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I have one more query !
>
> I know XML and also have sound knowledge of EDI. I want to know is
> that how XML and EDI is related.EDI is a exchange of standard business
> documents between two for more pratnes ,It can be in EDIFACT or ANSI
> format.
>
> But where XML comes into play.

My knowledge of EDI is not very deep. EDI is mutch older than XML and
both can do the same things. If you have a look at an EDI-Document you
will see, that it es not so difficult to generate a valid XML-Document
from it. But you need a parser for EDI-Documents. And you must build the
protocol on your own. The oposite transformation from XML to EDI is
easier. The grammar of an EDI-Doc is similar to the structure of a
XML-Doc. But the details are a little bit tricky.

> If anybody can suggest a good book (practicle uses of EDI and XML)that
> is avaliable in India.
>
> Or any good stie that can provide all the necessary information

I haven't read any books from the shelf, but may be these pages are
valuable for you:

http://www.unece.org/cefact/
  - standards for download

http://www.ebxml.org