xml-general mailing list archives

From Xavier MACHENAUD <xavier.machen...@st.com>
Subject XML based system architecture
Date Wed, 02 May 2001 09:22:41 GMT
Hi,

I'm in the process of designing an XML based application and I'm running
into a problem.

I want to separate the Presentation layer (XML server) and the Business
Logic layer (servlet/cgi/...) by using XML : the presentation layer is
querying  the business logic layer which is returning XML data.
Of course, I don't want my BL layer to do any output formatting.

        http
+-----+ get/post  +-----+       query         +-----+
|user | --------> |     | ------------------> |     |
|agent|           |Pres.|                     | BL  |
         pdf      Xml Server                Servlet/cgi/...
         wml

My problem is how can implement such an architecture?
More specifically, what protocol (compatible with that fact that there
could be a firewall between the 2 layers) can be used to query the BL
servlet?

Cheers,
Xavier