xml-general mailing list archives

From Lars Marius Garshol <lar...@garshol.priv.no>
Subject Where does Crimson come from?
Date Sun, 29 Apr 2001 16:14:04 GMT

Hi!

I'm currently finishing a book on XML application development and am
trying to clear up a couple of things I haven't fully figured out
yet.

Am I correct that Crimson is what used to be the Sun Java Project X
parser, which was donated to the Apache Project in April 2000?

Am I also correct in that Xerces and Crimson are separate XML parsers?
If so, could someone briefly outline what the main differences between
them are, and why two different parsers are being maintained?

Will Xerces 2 be based on Xerces 1 or on Crimson? Or it will it be
rewritten from scratch?

Any and all information you can provide on this would be much
appreciated.

Thanks!

--Lars M.