xml-general mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files
Date Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:46:56 GMT

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 Shane_Curcuru@lotus.com wrote:

> I propose a new xml.apache.org/xml-commons subproject to fulfill the need
> for a central repository for various XML standards-based files and common
> tools.
> COMMITTERS-PLEASE-VOTE! Although I'm not sure of the exact voting procedure
> for creating whole new subprojects, I'm hoping to see a bunch of +1's to
> start with; feel free to either reply-to or use the handy mini-xml ballot
> below.

No worries - This is the right approach. Anyone can propose projects - and
general@ is the right place (with perhaps a Cc/warning to the appropriate
existing lists which are potentially affected).

What makes a project fly are a couple of things

-	People behind it; to write code, manage CVS, manage
	mailing list, foster a comminity, do release engineering.
	-> this is really the responsiblity of the people driving it,
	(and your '+1' vote makes you a little part of that :-)

-	If there is overlap or interaction with other projects -
	some consensus amongst all involved that there are no
	conflicts and that any fragementing of the developer
	base and other collateral damage is overcome by better
	focus or synergy. I.e. the whole XML project needs to
	be a little better afterwards.
	-> this is something for everyone to flag - and for the PMC
	to bear in mind.

-	The project needs to fit within the charter and scope of the
	XML project - which is to provide commercial-quality
	standards-based XML  solutions that are developed in an open and
	cooperative fashion, to provide feedback to standards bodies (such
	as IETF and W3C) from an implementation perspective, and  to be a
	focus for XML-related activities within Apache projects
	-> and this is something where you run into the ASF board  when
	you grossly overstep those bounds.

When proposing a new project (and preferably before calling a vote) make
sure that you have a list of 3-5 people who will sign on, who are the
initial commiters, mailing list managers, etc,etc. As that is what the PMC
needs to carry things further, get the logistics done etc.

Dw