xml-general mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files
Date Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:37:01 GMT

> COMMITTERS-PLEASE-VOTE! Although I'm not sure of the exact voting procedure
> for creating whole new subprojects, I'm hoping to see a bunch of +1's to
> start with; feel free to either reply-to or use the handy mini-xml ballot
> below.
>
> NON-COMMITTERS-PLEASE-DISCUSS! While votes from non-committers are not
> binding your discussion and insights are very valuable!

Looks like a very good inititiative; just some general points/reminders:

1-	It is easy and good to create such sub projects - but they
	need to be staffed. People need not to be only behind it, but
	also actively work on it.

2-	Generally, (and historically in the httpd workd - where those
	voting things come from) if you give something a '+1' (rather
	than silence, a 0 or  a +0) you are expected to carry some of
	the burder of what you voted for - and some responsibility
	for keeping that project alive.

So think carefully as to where you want things to go. Each extra
components meeds a thinning of the pool of developers, not only to work on
code, but also building, qa, testing and release engineering.

Dw