xml-general mailing list archives

From cmanola...@yahoo.com
Subject Re: [DISC] Common "Native" Interfaces???
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2001 15:44:32 GMT
On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 Scott_Boag@lotus.com wrote:

> > While a new xml-core project can be just for utilities
> > and common files, should we also have a common package (if not
> > place -- i.e. CVS module) for common data structures?
>
> I agree that we need this (see my comments on his proposal... if I didn't
> say it right, what you are saying is what I intended).  However, I also
> think we need to be very conservative about what goes in there.  For one
> thing, we want to be careful of bloat.  For another, adding something to a
> commons area will be an invitation to perpetuate that interface through the
> pipeline... which can cause nasty dependency problems, and will be a
> nightmare if the API is not stable.

I partially agree, any change in the common code will affect all projects
using the code. The common components will need close monitoring from all
the projects that are using it, and coordination for all API changes - but
this is not necesarily a bad thing, the component will have more
"eyes" watching and we'll have more comunication between projects.

Costin