xml-general mailing list archives

From Scott_B...@lotus.com
Subject Re: Exception Architecture (was Re: JDOM... etc.)
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2001 14:32:35 GMT

Andy Clark <andyc@apache.org> wrote:
> Are you proposing that we would define specific exception
> classes that would extend RuntimeException so that we can
> throw them within the code without needing to explicitly
> state that the method throws that exception?

Yes.  But in a pipeline, something down the pipe can throw xyz exection...
so I'm not sure that there's a real contract there.

> Using existing code as a reason to not do things right
> (depending on some definition of "right", that is) is
> not a valid argument in my book. ;)

Pragmatically, it should hold some weight.  But, that's not the real root
of my argument.  The real issue is the spaghetti like effect that checked
exceptions can have on the calling code.

-scott