xml-general mailing list archives

From Arnaud Le Hors <leh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Where does Crimson come from?
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:41:08 GMT
Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm currently finishing a book on XML application development and am
> trying to clear up a couple of things I haven't fully figured out
> yet.
>
> Am I correct that Crimson is what used to be the Sun Java Project X
> parser, which was donated to the Apache Project in April 2000?

Yes.

> Am I also correct in that Xerces and Crimson are separate XML parsers?

Yes.

> If so, could someone briefly outline what the main differences between
> them are

In short: Crimson is a recursive descent based XML 1.0 + Namespaces
parser, with SAX2 and DOM Level 2 Core support. Xerces is a state
machine based parser, supporting XML 1.0 + Namespaces, XML Schemas, with
SAX2 and DOM Level 2 (Core, Mutation Events, Ranges, Traversal).

> and why two different parsers are being maintained?

Politics...

> Will Xerces 2 be based on Xerces 1 or on Crimson? Or it will it be
> rewritten from scratch?

Xerces2 is already there, see xml.apache.org. The internal APIs and
architecture is not frozen yet but it's working. It's basically a
complete rewrite with different requirements but it is based on Xerces.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - IBM Cupertino, XML Strategy Group