xml-general mailing list archives

From Martin Stricker <shu...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: xml.apache.org charter proposal
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2001 23:56:52 GMT
Arved_37@chebucto.ns.ca wrote:

> Quoting Martin Stricker <shugal@gmx.de>:
> >
> > I think dropping a good and ready-to-use software just because there
> > won't be much more fun with development is just *stupid*. Just be
> > happy getting an easy-to-maintain software which won't give you much
> > of a headache! ;-)) By the way: Your statement would lead to kicking
> > out any xml.apache.org software which is finished!
>
> I don't believe that anyone _doesn't_ want XML Apache to be a
> repository of great software. It's not a question of "fun", although I
> personally believe that what we do in Apache projects should be fun;
> what it is (and this is my interpretation) is a recognition that
> Apache has goals related to open-source software development, and the
> fostering of software development communities.
> This is not a commercial operation that has profit and deadlines as
> the bottom-line. Milestones are important, but they are also not the
> be-all and end-all.

Agreed. I was assuming the already finished software project was open
source and it's owner would agree to put it under the ASF license.
Without this it would make no sense to submit anything to apache.org.

> Your conclusion about kicking out XML Apache software that completes
> its development life-cycle and goes into ops & maintenance does not
> logically follow from anything that I said. I am specifically not
> enthused about the idea of accepting complete applications that are
> already finished - that is all.

Sorry I misunderstood you, Arved. I personally would like apache.org and
of course xml.apache.org to take over a (maybe finished, maybe not
finished) software project fitting into our charter if it's owner isn't
able/doesn't want to develop it further himself. This would prevent
great software to die of old age and bugs which would be a pity.

Just my two cents.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker