xml-general mailing list archives

From Arnaud Le Hors <leh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: JDOM in Apache (was Re: xml.apache.org charter proposal)
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2001 17:01:22 GMT
Andy Clark wrote:

> Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
> > My vote goes for runtime exceptions. I personally don't like static
> > exceptions at all. I think the choice to catch an exception should
> > always be left to the user...
>
> I disagree. The types of errors that we're talking about are
> not runtime variety of exceptions, they are XML processing
> exceptions.

Not true. In SAX, every event handler can throw a SAXException for
whatever reason. This is used to stop the parser for instance. It
doesn't qualify as an error though.

> I don't see a problem with explicitly declaring
> what exceptions can be thrown and must be caught.

It's annoying. As Scott mentions it ripples through the whole code. I
was looking at this in Xerces2 yesterday when I found that every
XMLEntityScanner method is declared to throw a SAXException just because
they all may end up calling XMLEntityHandler.endEntity() which may throw
one...

> I think
> it's worse when left up to the user.

Why? What's bad in leaving the user the choice?? I thought you,
american, citizen of the "country of liberty", would like that better?
;-)
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - IBM Cupertino, XML Strategy Group