xml-general mailing list archives

From Martin Stricker <shu...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Full charter proposal draft #1
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:23:17 GMT
Scott_Boag@lotus.com wrote at Sun, 1 Apr 2001 14:37:14 -0400:
> ==================================
> xml.apache.org Project Charter
> ===============
>
> In order to achieve a coherent architecture both between
> xml.apache.org components and between other components and
> applications, standards (either formal or defacto) will be used as
> much as possible, for both protocols and APIs.  But we will also allow
> innovation of new protocols and APIs to occur in order to seed new
> ideas and concepts that have not yet been defined by standards.

This is the most important paragraph for me. I fully agree! :-)

> Licensing
> ===============
> All contributions must contain the following copyright notice: [This
> changes now that the license is available]
>
> Copyright © {date} {name of contributor} and others.

Could someone please explain to me the necessity of "others"? There
should be the name of each contributor, so I see no need for "other".

By the way, what about sample files for contributions? I mean files
which contain a building block (the license and some other things which
should be included in *every* file of it's kind like .java, .c, .pm...).
Also there should be some kind of style guide about how to pretty-print
your code and how to structure your documentation. For instance some
programmers like their opening curly brackets in the same line as the
keyword or function name, others (like me) put it into a row of it's
own. These issues should be clarified because the readability of our
code would increase (I'm not sure if there's already something like this
in place). This should be done for *all* apache.org projects. If this
has to be set up I'm willing to coordinate this if no one else
volunteers.

+1 for the charter proposal from me (whatever this is worth since I'm
not (yet?) a committer...)

Best regards,
Martin Stricker