xml-general mailing list archives

From Jason Hunter <jhun...@collab.net>
Subject Re: JDOM in Apache (was Re: xml.apache.org charter proposal)
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2001 22:43:45 GMT
Arnaud Le Hors wrote:

> Brett McLaughlin wrote:
>
> > ... you are saying "JDOM authors don't know
> > XML because Jason doesn't know DOM."
> > Really a false assertion.
>
> You're wrongly extrapolating what I say here. All I say is that Jason
> criticized the DOM even though he didn't know it. Nothing else.

I criticized DOM because I had used it on a project, and found it to be
highly counterintuitive.  You don't need to read a spec to find
something counterintuitive; you just need to try to use it and find
yourself muttering swear words.  :-)

While Brett and I were creating JDOM I explicitly held-off reading the
DOM spec because I wanted to be able to brainstorm Java-style approaches
to problems without a DOM bias.  Brett acted as the XML guy experienced
with DOM who could check if my Java-perspective ideas satisfied XML's
full needs.  We made a good team that way.

-jh-