xml-general mailing list archives

From Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JDOM in Apache (was Re: xml.apache.org charter proposal)
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2001 21:27:42 GMT
Scott_Boag@lotus.com wrote:
> I hope that folks will take the time to give some detailed design critique.
> This is a work in progress, and now is the time to review for potential

>From looking at the API for DTM, I see it's just a DOM-like API
using integer handles instead of objects. This is as you said
and as I expected. It reminds me a lot of earlier thoughts I
had on a "Document Integer Model (DIM)". ;)

However, the tree API is based largely on the needs of XSLT
processing. For example, asking if one node is before or after
another; being able to traverse XPath axes in addition to the
standard ancestor, descendant, and siblings axes; etc.

My first opinion is that I would rather not bloat a generic
(though optimized) tree model with API based on a specific
application's needs. And the current design seems heavily
influenced by the needs of Xalan (to myself: duh!).  Also it
is influenced by an underlying character buffering model.
Can this be avoided? Otherwise we diverge from general
usefulness into proprietary architecture.

Quick point: I noticed that setFeature overlaps with the SAX2
name on XMLReader but does not declare that it throws any kind
of exception. Is this an oversight? or do you consider it
enough that the application can ask what is supported? (Note
that there is a difference between not supporting a value
before and during parsing.)