xml-general mailing list archives

From James Melton <james.mel...@cylogix.com>
Subject Re: Help wanted: more qualified developers
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2001 18:39:00 GMT
The original email used the term "mentor"; I did not for the reason you
mention. I would _love_ to work in a mentoring context, but that may be
too much to ask of someone else. Further if my workload were to suddenly
increase I would have to drop some Apache cycles to pick up the paying
work cycles. That would make me feel very guilty about leaving a mentor
hanging.

Perhaps I'm looking for a loosely coupled team leader. S/He drops a task
on a queue; I pick it up and return the finished result. I think this is
part of the intent of Bugzilla (?) but for the reason previously
mentioned it becomes difficult to use this way:
> When I read about bugs submitted by the community they often are not bugs,
> but it takes an "expert" to make that call. I can find bugs in Bugzilla
> but it would help if there was a status of "certified" applied by one of
> the committers who should know if something really is a bug.

Here is an additional situation: Over the weekend I looked at bug 1170
in xalan-j. Gary fixed this on Sunday. I didn't want to hold up
development by saying "I'm working on this problem please no one else
work on it." since I would still be trying to resolve it and I don't
know exactly how long it would take me. I'm glad I looked at it and can
see Gary's fix because now I'm in a position to ask him follow-up
questions that will clarify my understanding. But I would also like the
opportunity somehow to take ownership of the "right" bug and fix it
myself.

Who decides what's the "right" bug? It should be non-critical - I don't
want to hold up development. It should be reasonably easy to start with
- not necessarily trivial, but I would hate to read and trace code for a
month before I could begin to understand the problem. It should be
something of value. I think Bugzilla could provide all this information
if someone explicitly flagged problems for
jr/new/part-time/whatever-you-call-them developers. Then I would feel
more confident saying "This one is mine."

Jim.