xml-general mailing list archives

From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: Full charter proposal draft #1
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2001 09:44:05 GMT
At 02:37 PM 4/1/01 -0400, Scott_Boag@lotus.com wrote:
>Committers
>===============
>In addition to the Core Team, there are a number of contributors to the XML
>project. Contributors are individual or company-affiliated developers who
>have read-write access to the source code repository. New Contributors are
>added when a developer is nominated by a member of the Core Team and is
>approved by at least 50% of the Core Team members, with no "no" votes. In
>most cases, new Contributors will have already been participating in the
>development process by submitting suggestions and/or fixes using the bug
>report page or newsgroups.

"Core Team", by context, must refer to the PMC. There is no use of the term
before this. The language makes it clear that committers are not part of the
Core Team.

So this makes it sound like a new committer (Contributor) to FOP, or Xerces,
or whatever, is nominated by a PMC member, and voted in by at least 50% of
the PMC. This is a showstopper, if that's what is meant.

Clarification desired.

Also, I'd like to see guidance on use of the terms "project", "Project",
etc. Particularly in official or semi-official documents. Here, for example,
it is confusing. "the XML project" refers to the Apache XML project,
presumably, by context. But what is FOP, officially? A "project"? A
"subproject"? "A" project as opposed to "the project"? It may sound like
nitpicking but it's one reason I'd sort of personally prefer the top-level
Apache things (Jakarta, XML, etc) not to be called projects. Because they
aren't, really.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

Fairly Senior Software Type