xml-general mailing list archives

From Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca
Subject Re: xml.apache.org charter proposal
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2001 10:39:43 GMT
Quoting Martin Stricker <shugal@gmx.de>:

> Arved Sandstrom wrote at Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:44:40 -0400:
> > I would personally be somewhat against something that is essentially
> > finished, and is just going to be maintained - even if it is a
> > kick-ass application.
>
> I'm completely against this! I'm using apache.org as a great (maybe the
> best) repository of good software. I'd like to some coding, too, but in
> the mext few months I'll have no time for it. I think dropping a good
> and ready-to-use software just because there won't be much more fun with
> development is just *stupid*. Just be happy getting an easy-to-maintain
> software which won't give you much of a headache! ;-)) By the way: Your
> statement would lead to kicking out any xml.apache.org software which is
> finished!

I don't believe that anyone _doesn't_ want XML Apache to be a repository of
great software. It's not a question of "fun", although I personally believe that
what we do in Apache projects should be fun; what it is (and this is my
interpretation) is a recognition that Apache has goals related to open-source
software development, and the fostering of software development communities.
This is not a commercial operation that has profit and deadlines as the
bottom-line. Milestones are important, but they are also not the be-all and
end-all.

Your conclusion about kicking out XML Apache software that completes its
development life-cycle and goes into ops & maintenance does not logically follow
from anything that I said. I am specifically not enthused about the idea of
accepting complete applications that are already finished - that is all.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom