xml-general mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Action regarding umbrella PMCs
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2001 17:21:55 GMT

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Randall J. Parr wrote:

> In monitoring these discussions, it strikes me that some the differences may be
> due to confusion as to exactly what the PMC is to to and/or be.
> It seems the administration, legal review, etc. oriented tasks are best suited
> to a smaller number like five.

Indeed; this is the intention of a PMC.

> It seems the goal setting, standards setting, cheerleading etc. are best suited
> a representative from each project under the umbrella.
>
> Maybe the goal should be a representive group that is a large as it needs to be
> and an administrative group/committe that, ultimately, is responsible to
> representative group.
>
> If the PMC, as currently defined, is primarily the administrative group, then is
> there some other organizational group and/or mechanism for handling
> cross-project matters?

This propably is the source of the problem; it is up to the PMC to
actually define any such other groups; or up to the community to work with
it's PMC to create sush institutions. Most of the ASF is too new (and too
thin) to actually have spend time on creating those.

But I would certainly hope (and encourage) the new PMC to come up with
something like a standing working group or some other per-project
represented forum to work on the cross issues.

Dw