xml-general mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Volunteers: FINAL Cut?
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2001 06:53:42 GMT

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> >
> > Proposed procedure:
> >
> > -  vote to be called on Saturday unless I see a '-1'
> >    on the list by someone who feels this procedure
> >    needs to be changed.
> > -  vote open for 4 days (I'll post date/timezone :-).
> > -  vote to be public on general@ - archived copy on apache.org
> >    is what counts.
> > -  vote must be in provided template format.
> > -  no veto's; up to five votes, one vote/canidate.
>
> Who is eligable to vote?  Subscribers?  Committers?

Insofar as I can see, the bylaws of the ASF only recognize 'member's and
historically in (I think) all ASF groups we seem have always taken votes
of committers as the ones which 'count'.

However I do know that regular subscribers (which are not (yet)
committers) have more than once had their +1 'softly' swinging a deceision
or helping establish direction.

Secondly the current bylaws of the XML group only talk about 'voting' of
committers for the sub-project they have commit access to.

Given that we are establishing the forum which should, for the XML
group, try to determine - my gut reaction was to allow subscribers to vote
as well. However that would be quite a precedent to set - and I am
inclined to steer away from it - if only for the reason that we'd have to
build in some safety factor to ensure some sort of 'identity' check and
some sort of hurdle to stop rigging the vote by creating some email
aliases quickly. E.g. something like 'at least 5 postings in the last 2
months on any xml list'.

What do people thing ? Any strong opinions ? If not I'd prefer to play it
safe and stick to committers for now as that is fairly sizable group
already (some 100+ people if you count code, xml-website and mailling).

Dw