xml-general mailing list archives

From Scott_B...@lotus.com
Subject Re: xml.apache.org charter proposal
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:16:38 GMT

http://archive.covalent.net/xml/xerces-j-dev/2000/09/0170.xml

Arnaud Le Hors wrote:

> Whether I like JDOM or not has nothing to do with it. It's in our
> mission statement to be based on standards. See
> http://xml.apache.org/mission.

OK, perhaps I stand corrected.  It was my understanding that Arnaud or
anyone else in the XercesJ2 team didn't have any problem with someone
writing a JDOM constructor for Xerces2.  In any case, I stand by Arnaud.  I
would be very upset if I had to bring in JDOM code to use Xerces.

> I'm allowed to be concerned about what's going on at the W3C.  A lot of
> people
> are.

Yep, and I'm allowed to give them some defense.

> But that's not the issue.  The issue is whether or not we want to
> constrain ourselves
> to only do what W3C approves as recommendations.  Personally, I don't
want
> to be
> constrained that way.

We agree on this.  W3C and IEETF were only mentioned by me as examples of
standards.

-scott