xml-general mailing list archives

From Scott_B...@lotus.com
Subject Re: Volunteers needed: Reboot of the XML 'PMC'.
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2001 20:19:21 GMT

"Sam Ruby" <rubys@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> 1) the place for interproject communication should be out in the open, on
> the general@ mailing list; not on the private PMC mailing list.

I tend to agree, but the problem is one of focus, dedication, and
structure.  The general list is an unstructured environment whose purpose
is general discussion about a wide range of issues.  Architectural
discussions need to be more focused, and perhaps guided.  An example is the
testing infrastructure discussion that took place recently.  Some good
discussion takes place, but then it dies down, and the matter is left to
drift.  There is no leader, no one has any responsibilities.  The same
questions occur with new project proposals: what are the architectural
ramifications?  These are not legal and procedural questions, but technical
ones that need to be discussed as a matter of responsibility, and the
technical questions answered.

So I guess my proposal is:

Council (AMC), with an elected leader (or moderator), and representatives
from each project whose responsibility it is to participate, but with
totally open participation and voting from whoever wants to be there.  This
group would a) create overall architectural and integration vision for
xml.apache.org [where this is wanted], b) handle across-project
architectural fires, and c) handle requests from the PMC where technical
recommendations are needed, like for new project submissions.

This would let the PMC remain more purely concerned with "primarily
oversight on behalf of the board from a more legal and organizational
perspective" and "resolve interpersonal disputes, security concerns, legal
issues, veto of last resort, approval of new subprojects within the scope
of the project, responsible to the ASF corporation as chartered".

What do you think?

Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@covalent.net> wrote:
> All good and valuable points. One of the things we can do here - along
> with forming a new PMC is to give this group a brief; to work on the
above
> issues and make that a documented part of their tasks. Would it be useful
> to rephrase this in such a way ?

Hmm... how's the following?