xml-general mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Volunteers: First Cut
Date Sun, 04 Mar 2001 02:38:19 GMT
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> A. Silence is consent and unless I/the-board/this-lists hears
>    objections we move forward with proposing this PMC to
>    the board.
>
> B. We have a vote by the committers on this group as a whole.
>    (Usual system, including veto's).
>
> C. We have a vote on each member (Must have N/2+1 to be part
>    of the PMC; veto's do not apply. If we end up with less
>    than 5 people or more than 15 - redo from start).
>
> D. Some scheme I did not think off - to be proposed.
>
> E. This is all going to fast - and I propose to .... :-)

I'm not thrilled with A or B.  I'd personally like to participants have a
sustained track record of participating (if even only on the mailing lists)
to one or more Apache XML subprojects.

I'd like to see a modified C.  Instead of N/2+1 (where N is the number of
committers?), I'd like to see the usual system of lazy consensus: must have
a minimum of three +1's, and more +1's than -1's.

Such an elected PMC would have an air of legitimacy and a mandate.

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  Arved nearly volunteered.  Can I nominate him?