xml-general mailing list archives

From Scott_B...@lotus.com
Subject Re: Resend of first cut
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:28:42 GMT

Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@covalent.net> wrote:
> I am willing to defend to the board any
> markup of the PMC - based on committers, non committers or even external
> people - or whatever other format is made here.

I don't think we should restrict the list to only committers.  However I
feel strongly that the PMC members should be people who commit to the code
base on a daily bases, and who truly understand the issues and are invested
by virtue of hard work.  That's why I like the Apache & Open Source
communities... for the most part there are no managers who only do
management (not that there's anything wrong with this).  And commit statis
is one signal that the people are putting more into xml.apache.org than
bright ideas.  Therefore, I personally will only vote for committers, with
the possible exception of Dirk as chair by virtue of his board
representation, because of his history with the PMC, and because to me he
is a known quantity who is not too heavy handed.  Again, people should vote
for whoever they feel will be best at the job... I just happen to feel that
commit status is one of the criteria for this.

-scott