xml-general mailing list archives

From Shane_Curc...@lotus.com
Subject Re: Volunteers needed: Reboot of the XML 'PMC'. re: Arved's comment
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2001 13:31:57 GMT
A couple of add-on comments that these paragraphs made me think of:

---- you Kimbro Staken <kstaken@dbxmlgroup.com> wrote ----

---- you Arved Sandstrom <Arved_37@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote ----
> ...Good points all (the rest of your post included). Apache prides itself
on
> being not just another software sweatshop, open-source or no open-source,

> but in fostering a sense of community, and this is a very worthy goal.
But
> the main goal always has to be the end-user...after all, what is the
point
> of developing software otherwise?

Thinking forward about Apache being a business (non-profit, yes!) and
having the goal be towards the end-user: at what point do we also have a
goal of targeting IT/IS managers and CTO's?

I guess I see many of our communities focusing on supporting the users who
join the community, and either actively or passively getting user
requirements for them.  But how do we drive new users to join the community
in the first place?  And do we care how/why/when/what kind of new users
join?  It feels like most of our users (at least in xalan-dev, where I have
the most experience) are reasonably technical types who are working on
thier own small to medium size projects.  How many medium to large
corporate IT managers actively come to xml.apache.org projects to evaluate
them for large-scale deployment across their enterprise, and how easy is it
for them to implement these projects in their organizations?

(It's fully possible I'm off on assuming what scale users are using our
tools today; feel free to note big xml.apache.org success stories, which
are always nice to hear!  I'm also not really sure how the 'marketing' idea
or the idea of trying to attract large corporate users fits with the Apache
mentality)

Why would I want to attract more large corporate IT types? Partly the
prestige: even though we should "divorce ego from code", it's always nice
to hear that some brand name company is using your software to run it's
systems.  Mostly because it will bring many more users and developers to
the community, some of who will have even new and better ideas.  Oh: and
how do I think we should do this?  Partly with more thorough documentation;
detailed overviews and install instructions, and more focused
solution-based samples, and a little bit through outreach and maybe
'marketing'.

Also comments on:
---- you Arved Sandstrom <Arved_37@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote ----
> ... But XML Apache has another current
> goal - "to provide feedback to standards bodies (such as IETF and W3C)
from
> an implementation perspective" - that covers this base, too; we are
> responsible for generating quality feedback to the spec writers. Why?
> Because we said so, ourselves. And I'm not sure we do that so well,
either.
This is very important!  On Xalan we have Scott, who most of you know by
now, who's very active in the XSLT specs.  But I agree we could do a better
job on reminding each of our communities to think about the underlying
specs and give us (or W3C, or whoever) comments on them.  I bet there are
plenty of users who always get annoyed by such-and-such in the XYZ spec,
but don't feel they have the voice or experience to give comments back.
One thing Apache projects can do is allow any user to contribute ideas to
the project community, and the community can expand and refine on the idea,
hopefully encouraging someone to give good comments back to the spec
bodies.

Wow, i didn't quite expect to be doing all of this when I was thinking
about the PMC last night!

- Shane