xml-general mailing list archives

From Scott_B...@lotus.com
Subject xml.apache.org charter proposal
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2001 05:39:45 GMT
Here is my rough proposal for a revamped charter/mission statement for
xml.apache.org:

========
The mission of the xml.apache.org project is:

to provide commercial-quality, high-performance, well-tested,
standards-based XML components that are developed in an open and
collaborative fashion.

     We define "XML Component" as being that which processes a
     standard that is based on XML, and which is generally
     applicable to a wide variety of applications.  Parsers,
      processors, editing tools, diagnostic tools, and
      XML-specific databases are examples of what we mean
      by components.

to provide feedback to standards bodies (such as IETF and W3C) from an
implementation perspective.

to build an XML infrastructure that fits into a coherent architecture, in
order to enable and encourage use of XML.
========

By this charter, Cocoon would not today be accepted.  However, it should be
kept as part of xml.apache.org as long as they wish to stay (I hear they
are thinking of forming their own PMC, so this shouldn't be an issue).

The reason to constrain the mission is that XML is like motor oil... it is
being used all over the machine.  Use of XML alone should not be part of
our acceptence criteria.  We should have a clear idea of what we are trying
to do.  I'm not sure the above is it, but it's a first swag, and hopefully
a good starting point for discussion...

-scott