xml-general mailing list archives

From Scott_B...@lotus.com
Subject Re: Volunteers: FINAL Cut?
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2001 16:08:33 GMT

"Sam Ruby" <rubys@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> In case I wasn't clear:
> +1 to project representation
> -1 to one person from each subproject
>
> I see nothing wrong with a person representing multiple subprojects.
What

Arved Sandstrom <Arved_37@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
> We are pushing for project representation, say about 1 person per 2
> sub-projects. In fact, I would say that this seems to be a primary goal
for
> the composition of the final PMC. Which I agree with.

You all know I am in strong favor of *fair* project representation in the
PMC.  As it is, I did not think we were shooting for project
representation, but more of a dry lightweight management model, that should
be kept as light as possible.

If we *are* shooting for project representation, then, god damn it, make it
fair representation.  I don't want Joe Blow to decide the he can represent
the Xalan project.  The Xalan representative should be elected by the Xalan
committers.  No, Sam, I don't want a heavy-weight election process.  But I
don't think the current process will be fair.  For instance, where is Xang
represented?  Should Xerces C or Xerces Perl have separate representation?
(Right now the current list is a bunch of Java weenies, as far as I can
tell...)

At least if we are going for project representation, let's be very specific
about this, and so the number '5' becomes moot, in spite of the fact that
we already voted on this.  Each name on the list should say what projects
the person represents, and a given project should be able to veto that
representative if they get voted in.  And if a sub-project like Xerces Perl
felt they did not have representation, they could lobby to be represented.
This would have important consiquences:  for instance, with this model, I
would withdraw my name in favor of Shane, because I would be sure that the
Xalan project would get representation, and I could trust that Shane could
communicate our views.

To be clear: my vote for '5' was not based on a project representation
model.  I would be happy with the proposal in the above paragraph, but
let's be specific about it and revote.

-scott