xml-general mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Volunteers needed: Reboot of the XML 'PMC'.
Date Sun, 04 Mar 2001 01:16:11 GMT
Arnaud Le Hors wrote:

> > goal - "to provide feedback to standards bodies (such as IETF
> > and W3C) from an implementation perspective"
>
> I couldn't tell if it's true for all the XML projects but my
> guess is that the situation is actually better than you might
> think.  As it stands, several committers of Xerces and Xalan are
> members of the various standard committees that actually produce
> the specs that govern these projects.

I agree.  Same is true for Soap/Axis.

> One thing I'd like to see happening with this reboot is a clear
> rule on who can be on the PMC list. As it stands there are people
> on the PMC list who are not part of the PMC per say, and I'm not
> aware of why they've been granted this privilege while other
> people (in particular committers) have never been offered to be
> on the list themselves. I would suggest as a rule that all
> committers are offered to subscribe.

I felt that way at one time, and even proposed the same thing to the
Jakarta PMC.  Over time, I have changed my mind.  There are rare
discussions that need to be held in a closed forum.  The root problem is
that neither PMC choose to limit themselves to using that mailing list to
just those purposes.  The guiding principle should be that any discussion
which does not need to be done in private should be done in public.

If this is adhered to, the question is whether or not there is an
occasional need for discussions in private, and if so, how/where should it
take place.

- Sam Ruby

Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS on 03/03/2001 02:58:23 PM

Please respond to general@xml.apache.org