xml-general mailing list archives

From Scott_B...@lotus.com
Subject Re: VOTE: PMC size
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2001 15:56:30 GMT

> Wow this is really astonishing. I'm seriously scared to death that you
guys
> are going to run this thing into the ground because you all think you can
> pull on the controls at once. You need LEADERSHIP!!

Leadership doesn't happen because of process.  It happens because people
step up to the plate, work hard, and spend the time.  Leadership shouldn't
be appointed, it should be earned.

> This kind of thing happens because you have NO leadership.

No, speaking for myself anyway, it happened because Roy's note came at a
very busy time, and fell off my radar.  This stuff happens.  Also, the PMC
as composed was made of many people who were company politicians with
secret agendas instead of true committers with dedication to the projects
-- a fallout from how xml.apache.org was seeded.  Rebuilding the PMC and
charter is good and appropriate... but shouldn't be seen as indicative of
the health of the project as a whole.

> Putting a large
> PMC in place, especially one consisting of all committers for all
projects,
> will absolutely not solve this problem.

You're right, it won't solve the problem, but it won't get in the way of
solving the problem either.  Leadership is different from top-down
management structure, which is what we don't need.  Leadership can occur in
an open environment as well as or better than a small, closed environment.

-scott