xml-general mailing list archives

From Scott_B...@lotus.com
Subject Re: VOTE: PMC size
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2001 05:28:29 GMT

"Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@ebuilt.com> wrote:
> That is, the PMC is supposed to be
> elected by the committers on the project, or include all of the
committers
> on the project, because that's pretty much the only way to ensure that
> what we do remains a true collaboration and doesn't degrade into some
sort
> of consortium or a mirror of our real jobs.

Given Roy's note, I should add to my list:

E) include all of the committers on the project

I would vote, in order of preference:

E -- I like this because it is inclusive of the people who do active work.
If you put code into Apache on a regular basis, you should have the right
to be part of the decision making process, even if they are "dry" issues.

D -- I like this because it is potentially a more manageable version of E,
but I still like E better.

A -- If we can't have representative input, then the PMC should be very
small, and it's scope severely limited, as much as possible under the ASF's
bylaws.  Strictly "to make sure we do things legally and without recklessly
endangering the foundation's assets (the good name and all of the code
contributed to the foundation)", and where privacy is required.  For
instance, in this case the decision to include a new project should not be
part of it's scope, this should be put to a committer vote, with maybe a
anonymous vote from the PMC able to veto.

-scott

                    COFFMAN

                    Steven               To:     "'general@xml.apache.org'" <general@xml.apache.org>

                    <SCoffman@COV        cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)

                    ANSYS.com>           Subject:     VOTE: PMC size

                    03/05/2001

                    03:25 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    general

Vote as per Scott Boag's suggestion (but without the ordinal-cardinal
category confusion):
A)  3 people.
B)  5 people.
C)  < 15 people.
D)  Project representation - 1 person for each project (which nobody seems
to like except me)

For myself, +1 to B (since PMC discussions are open to non-PMC project
representative input).