xml-general mailing list archives

From David_N_Bert...@lotus.com
Subject Re: Common sub-project for Xalan/Xerces: discuss: standards-basedfiles vs. common utils
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2001 22:37:50 GMT

Tinny Ng wrote:
> James Melton wrote:
>
> > A discussion thread in xalan-dev has brought up the idea of creating a
> > shared code base that includes things like the SAX and abstract DOM
> > classes and an Exception base class. What are people's thoughts on
this?

> Are we going to divide this ADK into Java and C++, like Xerces-J and
Xerces-C?

> Since there is no standard C++ bindings, currently it is up to Xerces-C
to define
> it.  So for example for DOM, Xerces-C has something like "DOM_Document",
> "DOM_Element"; and with the proposed new faster DOM, we will have
something like
> "IDOM_Document", "IDOM_Element".   So when we create the new "ADK-C",
does this mean
> we are going to define a pseudo-standard C++ bindings and ask all
projects to
> follow?  And are we going to pull the existing "DOM_*" or the new
"IDOM_*" or both
> from Xerces-C to ADK-C??

That's exactly what I'd like to see happen.  Those along with the SAX
interfaces, and anything else we feel is basic code and interfaces.  Then
we can have our own "standard" bindings for these things.

I'd say leave the DOM_* stuff in Xerces.  It's not interfaces, so no one
will derive from it.

Dave

                    Tinny Ng

                    <tng-xml@ca.i        To:     general@xml.apache.org

                    bm.com>              cc:     (bcc: David N Bertoni/CAM/Lotus)

                                         Subject:     Re: Common sub-project for Xalan/Xerces:
discuss:
                    03/29/2001           standards-basedfiles  vs. common utils

                    04:51 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    general

James Melton wrote:

> A discussion thread in xalan-dev has brought up the idea of creating a
> shared code base that includes things like the SAX and abstract DOM
> classes and an Exception base class. What are people's thoughts on this?

Are we going to divide this ADK into Java and C++, like Xerces-J and
Xerces-C?

Since there is no standard C++ bindings, currently it is up to Xerces-C to
define
it.  So for example for DOM, Xerces-C has something like "DOM_Document",
"DOM_Element"; and with the proposed new faster DOM, we will have something
like
"IDOM_Document", "IDOM_Element".   So when we create the new "ADK-C", does
this mean
we are going to define a pseudo-standard C++ bindings and ask all projects
follow?  And are we going to pull the existing "DOM_*" or the new "IDOM_*"
or both
from Xerces-C to ADK-C??

Tinny