xml-general mailing list archives

From Shane_Curc...@lotus.com
Subject Re: Volunteers: FINAL Cut?: Vote on voting eligibility; Vote on voting format
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2001 14:15:26 GMT
Item the first:
+1 on only counting votes from committers - Shane

---- you Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@covalent.net> wrote ----
> On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Sam Ruby wrote:
> > Who is eligable to vote?  Subscribers?  Committers?
>
> Insofar as I can see, the bylaws of the ASF only recognize 'member's and
> historically in (I think) all ASF groups we seem have always taken votes
> of committers as the ones which 'count'.

Although there is a lot of valuable input from other list subscribers (and
I do value that input, especially when trying to plan bigger/forward
looking things like the PMC), in the end it's the committers who make up
the projects, and the committers who should actually determine where the
group should go.
This also makes it much easier to validate votes, and doesn't set any new
precedents that we'd have to discuss along the way.  (Of course, one
question: can people like Scott and myself who use alternate email
addresses as our primary email still vote from these addresses, or do we
want to be 'official' and have to use our @apache.org accounts?)

Item the second:
+1 on having voting be open/public - Shane

---- you Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@covalent.net> wrote ----
> Proposed voting methods
>
> 1. open - send your votes in on general@ and we count in public.

We've had a lot of other comments about having the future PMC hold
discussions more openly - we should also choose the PMC openly.  Yes,
earlier votes can sway later votes, but that can be a good thing as well as
a bad thing.  Plus, many non-committers will also be casting their votes on
the list, which will also sway people's minds, even though their votes may
not count in the official tally.

Also I have this odd thought that each individual's votes are a useful
contribution to the community: and one basic premise is that all
contributions are free and open, and are credited to the person who put
them forward.

Side question: can a person change or recind their vote after it's been
first cast? (Assuming they do it in an open and obvious way, and not
disrupt the counting?)

- Shane