xml-general mailing list archives

From Scott_B...@lotus.com
Subject Re: xml.apache.org charter proposal
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:49:46 GMT

"Ted Leung" <twleung@sauria.com> wrote:
> it could be
> interpreted as
> "cool XML stuff".

I was trying to say much more than that.  I was trying to articulate an
architectual vision based on pipe components, through which flows the XML
information set.  And was trying to state some concrete goals as to what we
should be trying to achieve.

It's worth carefully comparing our mission statement with Jakarta's.  Their
mission statement is:

Provide commercial-quality server solutions based on the Java Platform that
are developed in an open and cooperative fashion.

We need to have a different vision from Jakarta.  I believe the differences
may be something along the lines of:

Jakarta --> fundamentally a Java thought.
xml.apache.org -->  fundamentally an XML thought.

Jakarta --> building a large server framework, somewhat entangled.
xml.apache.org -->  should be a set of loosely coupled components, or
building blocks, that talk via standards based on the W3C XML information
set.

Sam Ruby, perhaps you can talk about Jakarta vs. xml.apache.org?  I see it
as an awfully fuzzy line, and a line that should be made more apparent.

> The projects that most represent innovation to me are Cocoon, Ant,
Struts,
> Turbine,
> and Velocity.   Most of our (XML) current projects are building blooks
for
> the really
> cool stuff.

I'm not sure we should be about "cool".  I think that's more Jakarta.  I
like creating strong building blocks, and having other people assemble
those blocks in various ways. I would rather our central thought be about
information exchange, presentation, and access through XML, and clean
loosly coupled componentry, rather than "cool" or even broad-level
"innovation".  In a lot of ways, implementing standards is the opposite of
innovation.

-scott