xml-general mailing list archives

From Tinny Ng <tng-...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Common sub-project for Xalan/Xerces: discuss: standards-basedfiles vs. common utils
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:51:40 GMT
James Melton wrote:

> A discussion thread in xalan-dev has brought up the idea of creating a
> shared code base that includes things like the SAX and abstract DOM
> classes and an Exception base class. What are people's thoughts on this?

Are we going to divide this ADK into Java and C++, like Xerces-J and Xerces-C?

Since there is no standard C++ bindings, currently it is up to Xerces-C to define
it.  So for example for DOM, Xerces-C has something like "DOM_Document",
"DOM_Element"; and with the proposed new faster DOM, we will have something like
"IDOM_Document", "IDOM_Element".   So when we create the new "ADK-C", does this mean
we are going to define a pseudo-standard C++ bindings and ask all projects to
follow?  And are we going to pull the existing "DOM_*" or the new "IDOM_*" or both
from Xerces-C to ADK-C??

Tinny