xml-general mailing list archives

From Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XERCES 2 availability
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:47:02 GMT
"RAHMAN,ABDUR (HP-Sunnyvale,ex1)" wrote:
> We want to use Xerces 2 later on when it becomes available due to it's
> advanced parsing capability. Does anyone know when will Xerces 2 be
> available?

An alpha version of Xerces2 is available from the download
page: http://xml.apache.org/dist/xerces-j/ . However, if you
are looking for a production level release, *that* is farther
out on the horizon.

Currently, the code is stable but has the following limitations:

  * there is still design work to be done, therefore XNI may
    change from its present form
  * there is no Schema support, yet
  * the code has not been tuned for performance

However, the design work is proceeding so that we can support
the following features:

  * independent grammar loading and caching
  * advanced grammar access
  * write-validation of documents
  * custom parser configurations

There are continuing design discussions occurring on the
xerces-j-dev mailing list. Please join that mailing list in
order to follow the discussion and participate -- especially
if you want to incluence how XNI is defined! :)

The actual implementation work will proceed based on the
amount of help that we get from the Xerces developer
community. Since Xerces 1.x is our production parser, all
of the current Schema work is being done there first to
ensure that users get the needed functionality in a
production level parser. Then it will either be ported
forward into the Xerces2 codebase, or (more likely) the
validation engine will receive the same kind of redesign
as the parser in order to improve its capabilities and
maintainability.

If you have the extra cycles, we'd appreciate your help.