xml-general mailing list archives

From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject RE: Help wanted: more qualified developers
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:39:59 GMT
At 02:03 PM 3/30/01 -0700, Kelly Campbell wrote:
>As far as I know, FOP doesn't have anyone who is being paid to work on it
>such as Xalan and Xerces do, but we do have many qualified developers and
>many users who actively use it and supply patches. From what I know, most of
>the committers (including myself) on FOP work on it as a hobby in our spare
>time because we are interested in the technology. Many of us also use it in
>our work to prepare technical documents and auto-generate reports as an
>alternative to other publishing software.

I second everything Kelly said. I would go so far as to say that _all_ of
the FOP committers are part-time volunteers. In addition, I think it is
worth mentioning that all of the committers and probably most (if not all)
of the most knowledgeable developers are heavily engaged in real-world
stuff, and our pace of development is suffering. I won't say that we are
crippled, but we are nowhere close to the pace that we want. I would also
estimate that in many cases we are close to the point where a committer or
active developer is wasting a lot of time in every coding session coming
back up to speed with problems, because the last time they looked at FOP was
a week before.

I don't have any obvious solutions. The technology (XSL-FO) is important,
the committers and developers are enthusiastic, there is a lot of excellent
domain knowledge available, and we are actively engaged with other
implementors, with other Apache XML projects (although this can always
improve) _and_ with the W3C XSL WG (FO people), but we have a human resource
problem nonetheless. We are currently putting an emphasis on refactoring
some of the central code so as to reduce the entry barrier for new
developers, and also simplify things overall. The XSL spec is big, some of
the technical problems are quite complex, and overall the scope of FOP is
about the same as the other big XML Apache projects.

In project terminology I suppose you could say that I'm raising a yellow
flag over resource concerns - schedule risk, and complexity that bars entry
of new people. We are trying to address the one, and hopefully it will
improve the latter. A few months should tell the tale.

Hope this helps the PMC.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

Fairly Senior Software Type