xml-general mailing list archives

From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: xml.apache.org charter proposal
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:02:13 GMT
At 10:04 AM 3/30/01 -0500, James Melton wrote:
>Scott_Boag@lotus.com wrote:
>>
>> > Let's accept projects as they show up, on a case-by-case basis,
>>
>> But I don't agree with this.  I think we need some better constraints, and
>> should really have a solid vision of what we want to accomplish.
>
>I'm entirely behind Scott on this point. Handling everything ad-hoc is
>asking for trouble.

I wrote the first sentence...it's worth pointing out that "case-by-case" is
hardly equivalent to ad-hoc. In fact, one could have exactly the same
constraints, and the same solid vision - the evident difference then between
what Scott is saying and what I said is that in one case you don't
aggressively seek to plug the holes, and in one case you do. Or at least
this is the sense I gather from Scott: that we would define what we want and
initiate or continue activities in all identified areas.

I'm not against the latter approach - I don't think I was saying anything in
earlier posts other than really trying not to be limited to implementation
of standards.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

Fairly Senior Software Type